Nurses Education’s 7.5 hour- IM Injection workshop aims to assist the learner to safely administer drugs via the IM route. Anatomical references and landmarks, complications, needle gauges, and techniques in administering IM injection will be discussed in the classroom. The laboratory component of this workshop allows the leaner to practice the IM injection skills in a life-size mannequin accurately and with confidence.
The framework of nursing process is utilized in the care of the clients requiring medications through the IM injection route.
Course Objectives: At the end of the workshop, the learner will be able to:
1. Review the evidence to inform safer practice and to consider the evidence for nursing practice in the administration of injections.
2. Embrace the latest research findings by applying evidence-based practice in the administration of injections.
3. Proximate anatomical references in order to identify landmarks and injection sites safely and confidently.
4. Highlight ongoing debate in selection of intramuscular injection sites, predominantly the ventrogulteal and the dorsogluteal muscles.
5. Familiarize self with the different equipment for administering injections.
6. Demonstrate knowledge of principles of safe and appropriate preparation of medications administered in these routes.
7. Describe, demonstrate and perform appropriate techniques for administering injections.
8. Implement appropriate sterile technique when administering injections.
9. Accurately calculate medication dosages.
10. Understand and appropriately apply the principles of the 8 Rights of Medication Administration.
11. Equip with knowledge and clinical reasoning on the different adverse effects of the administration of injections.
12. List the risks associated with intramuscular injections.
13. Know the legal aspect of administering injections.
14. Perform proper documentation of the procedure/care provided.
15. Evaluate the knowledge and competency skills of the learners through return demonstration and post-test.
Price: $140.00 Cdn. (Price includes Tax and Materials)